Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Dry Pizza Pie


Domino's (NEW) Pizza & Cheese Sticks



In the past I’ve only written up posts on Locally owned eateries and culinary experiences, but today I’ve throwing in a wrench. After all the hype and hoopla on Domino's new Pizza recipe and cheese sticks, I thought I’d give it a go around.

            I have eaten Domino's only a few times, mostly during my college days down at TAMUG (Gig'em Aggies)… they were closer to the campus than the other pizza companies. My room-mate was the main who ordered from them, I was a Papa Johns fan, but since he was buying I figured Id give them a try. Their pizza was alright, definitely nothing special, a little bland from what I can remember… and next day was pretty sucky. Left over, cold, pizza is a big thing for College students… and Domino’s pizza next day was really dry and lost most of its flavor… it became crunchy cardboard (where as, PJs does not). So to say the least, I was very little impressed.
           
Earlier this week for the (miserable) Dallas v NYG game I decided to change it up and order Domino's new Pizza and Double Stuffed Cheese Sticks and see how they compared to PJ’s. For the pizza I ordered a Medium, thin crust, with regular cheese, bacon and white sauce. For the Double Stuffed Cheese Sticks I ordered their regular cheese stuffed, though I thought about snagging the Spinach and Feta one instead.

            The pizza straight up, was a lot better than I had dined on in the past. It had a better, more rounded flavor. Good amount of cheese, they were kinda light on the bacon, and the white sauce was decent enough for the price.  The cheese sticks fresh, were pretty good. Great cheesy flavor with plenty of cheese stuffed in and piled on. They had good crust consistency and nice seasoning. Fresh, they were both pretty good and a lot better than they had been in the past. BUT, next day, it was the same ole story. They both dried up and become dull, flavorless and stale. Heck, the cheese sticks dried out in only a couple hours after being delivered. Something about their dough and cheeses, they just aren’t made for next day. Which, in my opinion is a big flaw; I mean come on, people love next day pizza especially the college student. Even when I microwaved them, it wasn’t nearly as good, just didn’t have the same next day quality I would expect. 

      I should add, a couple days later I decided to go by and pick up an order of the Spinach & Feta stuffed cheese sticks. Fresh, they were pretty great. But as previously mentioned, they turn extremely stale next day, I still have some in my fridge cause I cant bring myself to eat them. Had they been Papa Johns regular cheese sticks, they'd be GONE!
           
While they might have taken their main recipe formulas back to basic and re-created them to make a better tasting fresh pizza, I feel they need to now work on making them edible for next day consumption. Would I recommend them for a party? Ya sure, for freshness and their price it’s a decent deal. But I wouldn’t count on saving any for the next morning, enless you like stale & dull pizza for breakfast. If you want Pizza that you can eat 2, 3 or even 4 days later… I’d go with Papa Johns.


No comments:

Post a Comment