Thursday, January 19, 2012

Blowin Smoke!

Up In Smoke, BBQ
212 S Hickory St.
Abbott, TX 76621

(254) 580-9644


So yesterday I had to go up to Dallas for some work, I figure if I have to drive all that way, I might as well snag some Q on the way back. So I Googled mapped the place I was heading and searched around for a BBQ joint that was within a few miles…. I found one….Backyard BBQ Perfect Touch. Unfortunately they were closed when I went by, so I went to plan B; to try out a joint outside of Hillsboro out on I-35. The place is called Up In Smoke and it’s hard to miss them. They are a real easy to get to, being right off the high way, and great place for truckers to hit up with their large parking lot. If you’ve ever driven to or from Waco to Dallas, you’ve most likely seen it… a big ole loser Long Horn is their mascot. 

            You walk in, I never really got a strong smell of smoke but I did get plenty the aroma of cooked meats. You are nicely greeted by, whom I am guessing were the owners. It’s a buffet style joint; you pick your meats, they cut them, you snag your own sides and dessert(s). They have a fairly simple menu: Single meat plates, a combo plates, sandwiches, taters, a “Trash Can” which is described to be a “Frito pie, Texas style”, sides, desserts, drinks and of course “Lbs to go.”

            So after browsing the menu and looking at everything behind the glass I make up my mind. I go with the combo plate: Pulled pork & brisket, with potato salad & slaw, their spicy BBQ sauce... and it comes with a freshly buttered and toasted piece of bread… before he even cuts the meat he preps and starts toasting the bread. I also snag a slice of apple pie and a glass of sweet tea. I also get a sample rib and couple slices of their sausage. The spicy sauce was alright, really wasn’t that spicy.

            The first thing I try is the pulled pork; it looks kinda dry, but the aroma is pretty good. On first bite, it is a tad dry but still has pretty good flavor but just a little bit of smokiness. With a little bit of the spicy sauce and some pickles it is pretty good. Not the best I’ve had, not the worst I’ve had either. Next I try the brisket and I first notice that there is no smoke ring; so either they don’t smoke it for very long or maybe not use a lot of wood. I hope they smoked it at least some since that is what BBQ is, Smoking of the meats low and slow. It was alright, definitely nothing special about it. It still had decent flavor and wasn’t that dry. Then onto the sausage; again, it was alright, no distinct smoke flavor and just a little bit of spice flavor with a unique bitty texture. Last but not least of the meat was the rib; This was the best out of the four; it had good flavor, a little smokiness to it, and it was cooked well- not falling off the bone and not too tough or chewy. 

Onto the sides; the cole slaw was pretty good, had a mild dressing and flavor, but a big cabbage after kick. I really enjoyed the potato salad; nice and chunky, nice amount of mustard to mayo ratio, and not too much on peppers and onions. The potato salad was the best part of the main meal. After all that I took a couple bits of the apple pie before heading out, they make them there fresh. It had a nice fresh delicious apple filing, but I wasn’t fond of the crust flavor (it left an odd after taste), plus it was a tad raw (too doughy) on the top portion. 

Before I left, I decided I’d pick up some turkey to try and for my salads later in the week. The only reason I decided to get some was after reading some of the reviews on Google… many said the turkey was one of the best things there. As I went back to the counter to get some I asked the lady about it; She proudly said that people love the turkey because they “double smoke" it (they use hickory, one of my favorite woods). Now, what I consider double smoking is: Smoking it all one day, cooling it down, then re-smoking (as a way to warm it up) on the day you plan to serve it. I know of a few places that do this with their briskets, it adds a slightly different Smokey flavor and allows for easy quality control. I tried a piece before hitting the road… it was pretty dang good. Great flavor and juicy, some of the best turkey I’ve had. Even good the next day col; I’m actually eating some on my salad as I write this.

Over all, it was a alright experience. Nothing really that special, but good; not the worst and definitely not the best. I fell if you are on a road trip and are riding down I-35 and get a little hungry around that area, it’s a decent place to stop by. Get some ribs, some damn good turkey or their pulled pork sandwich (with plenty of sauce) with a side of their potato salad and some sweet tea… you’ll definitely be set… and if you feelin’ a little naughty, snag some pie “Would ya like a piece of Pie?”in an Adam Sandler voice




No comments:

Post a Comment