Friday, July 19, 2013

Aint No Sissy Food



Wise Guys



A Chicago Eatery


Facebook

579 North Valley Mills Road
Waco, Texas 76710
254-732-0582



                So we all know it has been a while since my last submission. It has been a busy, crazy, long year. My dad has been in & out of the Hospital, just recently had a major surgery, my older cousin was just married, his brother just engaged, I started school back up, picked up extra hours at Uncle Dans, and even started working at some Nite Court Saloon.

                During all this off time from the blog, plenty of new restaurants have opened and plenty more are still in the process of opening, while others have changed owner ship, some have closed down. Things have definitely changed with some good and some bad. I still try to make time to eat out at least 2-3 times a week.

"I am like any other man. All I do is supply a demand."
Al Capone

                One of my favorite New places to have moved into Waco is Wise Guys. When I first heard they were moving in, that really peaked my curiosity. Then when I found out the location, I was a bit worried. But only time would tell, and so far it is looking promising.

                So after a couple of weeks, I always give new places a window to get the kinks worked out, I stopped in with my brother. We both ordered the Chicago Cheese Steak; “Tender sirloin grilled with sautéed onions, bell peppers & shrooms. Topped with melted while American cheese,” along with a side of home cut fries and of beer battered onion rings. We bother loved it; the cheese steak was just great. Like all the menu items, it is brought out in a plain brown bag, usually with some light grease stains peaking though. The sandwich is wrapped up, ready to be devoured. The meat was flavorful and tender, hot and buttery, Tasted fresh and well-seasoned. One order of fries were more than enough for the two of us, fresh cut, fried and seasoned to perfection. The onion rings were nice, they seemed to have a slightly different, thicker, batter than most other kinds. They will be an acquired taste, but well worth a try.

                Between my first experience and today, I have got back at least 1-3 times a month, and always order myself the Chicago Cheese Steak and fries or rings. Occasionally Ill add a dessert, like the gelato. Often I would take it back to my bar and share with my manager or one of the bartenders, get them hook on the awesomeness.  I honestly believe, out of all the places in Waco that serve a Cheese Steak Sandwich, Wise Guys is the best AND the most consistent when it comes to taste and quality.  

                I always wanted to try new items on their menu, but I just couldn’t move past the Chicago Cheese Steak. Well, I finally just messaged the manager on Facebook and asked him what he would recommend (top 3): He recommends the Italian Sausage with peppers and onions, and to try their burgers. Then he kicked it up a notch and offered to hit me up with a sampler platter, so I could try a few different items and get a real feel for the restaurant…. How could I say “No.”

                I stopped by last night, after work, to take them up on the offer. What can I say, they hooked it up, I got to try 6 different menu items.

Here are the names & menu descriptions of what I dined on:

       >Burger- Bugsey Siegal : 1/3lb Burger topped with yellow American cheese, BBQ Sauce and onion rings.
       >Sandwich- Italian Beef: Chicagos #1 sandwich! Seasoned Roast beef. Topped with sweet bell peppers or hot Giardenera. Order it Dry, Wet or Dipped! 
      >Sandwich- Italian Sausage: A grilled Italian sausage served on a lightly toasted roll. Topped with peppers and grilled onions.
      >Sandwich- Meat Ball: Three large perfectly seasoned meatballs in marinara sauce served on a lightly toasted roll. Topped with mozzarella cheese.
      >Hot Dog- Chicago Dog: All Beef dog placed on a steamed poppy seed bun. Topped with mustard, relish, raw onions, tomatoes, pickle spear, sport peppers  & celery salt. Dont get more authentic than that my friends.
     >Side: Home Cut Fries.

  Defining it is one thing; tasting it is a whole different ballgame.

The Bugsey Siegal:

First off who was Bugsey? Well according to the World Wide Web Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel was an American mobster with the Genovese crime family. Nicknamed "Bugsy", Siegel was known to be ruthless with associates and was known as one of the most "infamous and feared gangsters of his day.
Quick educational fact of the day out of the way let us get back to the Chow.


The Bugsey is a classic style burger with BBQ Sauce and O.Rings. Many a place serves this style, it is one of my brothers favorite and hard to mess us. The BBQ sauce used on this specific burger, was nice and sweet, light twang to it and was pretty good. The onion ring was nice and crisp, the bun was toasted and warm. The burger pattie was very good too, not too fatty or dry, had nice flavor and texture. I would definitely be interested in trying a couple of their other burgers to see how they play out. I am a very picky burger eater.

The Italian Beef:

When I first saw this sandwich laid out on the plate, it shocked me. I had to wrap my brain and eyes around it, had to figure out my plan of attack on eating it. It is a mound of thinly sliced roasted, packed between a toasted bun and topped with peppers. This sandwich was delicious and filling, I had to stop myself after a few bits to ensure I had room for the other menu items. The beef was nicely seasoned with peppercorns, salt, etc… great pop and still let you enjoy the natural beef flavor. Think I will order this next time, also with some cheese and “dip.” Oh and did I mention you can get a regular size or a large? Betting the large one could feed a small family, with a side of fries.

The Italian Sausage:

This sandwich was served without the bun, allowing me to enjoy the sausage and not fill us on all the spare carbs. Much thanks for that. It was very flavorful, nicely grilled, juicy, smooth meat consistency; the sausage casing wasn’t chewy or tough like I’ve experience in the past. I could see ordering one of these for a light lunch or quick bite.

Meatball:

Like the previous sandwich, this was served sin bun, just meat cheese and marinara sauce.
This was very tasty; I’ve tried the Meat Ball subs at Jason’s Deli, Subway, and a couple other places around town and this one was my favorite.  The meatball was of nice size, it was extremely flavorful, tender and moist. The marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese paired with it very nicely, only adding flavor, not overwhelming it. I will definitely be adding one of these to my dinner plans soon and is probably one of the best Meat Ball Subs in town.

Chicago Dog:

Last but not least, the Chicago Dog. Nothing against the Restaurant but, I must be honest and admit that I’ve never really been a big hot dog fan. I just really never liked them, maybe because they were the last minute meals of my family and were served way too often at preschool and summer school, and these are the cheap water hot dogs.. Yuck. Those probably just killed my appetite for them on a mental level. But that won’t stop me from trying new ones; I’ve tried the Dirty Dogs up in New York, the Ball Park Franks at the baseball games and often grill them for friends during cook outs, yet I still leave unsatisfied. Back to the review though.

My first though upon seeing this hot doggie, was the NEON Green “stuff” layered over the side of the dog. “What is this stuff” I thought to myself, even asked my friend sitting with me. Some goofy looking stuff, almost candy like…. Well feel no fear, it is just hot Dog Relish. Flavorful, neon green Relish… haha. Topped alongside with mustard, onions, a pickle spear, tomato wedges and sports pepper. It was a pretty tasty Dog, I finished most of it off giving the rest to my friend. She like it, I thought it was alright. The topping all came together, as you take your bites; you’d get layers of different flavors all accumulating to one flavorful bite. Served with a side of fries for only $3.99, that’s a pretty good lunch I’d imagine for any Hot Dog lover.


Over all, I am fairly impressed and happy with the quality and flavor of Wise Guys food. It is probably one of my favorite new restaurants in town. The service has always been prompt, even during the busy hours you get your food in a timely manner and the staff is helpful and friendly. It is no surprise that they are working on a second location in Waco and expanding out of state from what I read. If you’ve been curious about stopping by and giving them a try, wait no longer. They have a nice menu selection, great prices, specials, live music on the weekends, over all great atmosphere and décor, oh and did I mention the great food?




Almost done

 Go In, tell’em DavieG sent ya and treat your taste buds to some Authentic Style Chicago food cooked up to order. You won’t be disappointed!


Random quote from guy sitting a table behind me “I could make a meal out these fries alone.”  

6 comments:

  1. good food.... excellent service.... fair prices....for a LOT of GOOD food.... that's what makes the place!! If you're looking for AUTHENTIC Chicago "chow".... this place will give your taste buds a "sleigh ride" and fill your belly at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shit tastes NOTHING like authentic Chicago food you asshole. I am from Chicago and a store owner would be killed for serving this shit back home!! Fucking no taste redneck asshole!

      Delete
  2. Try the al capone sometime--OMIGOD good. It's basically a sausage in a roll smothered with the cheesesteak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuck this non authentic shit food!! Go to Chicago and see what I mean!!

      Delete
    2. Try my Italian sausage someone. I pull down my pants and you duck my Italian man meat!! Since you obviously don't know what real Chicago food tastes like, I'll give you a real Chicago Italian chick to duck you no taste bitch!! Fuck this shit hole wise guys!!

      Delete
  3. Hey!! Davie G sent me and he says that since I'm a no life Redneck no taste bbq cook like him that I won't know what good food is so I need to try one of your fake ass Chicago shit burgers here at wise guys fucktards restaurants!!

    ReplyDelete