Saturday, January 14, 2012

New Station in Town

The Grillin’ Station
3600 N. 19th
Waco, TX 76710
(254) 753-2478  

Mon- Wed  6am- 3pm
Thur- Fri     6am- 8pm
Sat             7am- 8pm


            Most of us loved and miss Bill & Bobs Diner, that closed a couple months back and are now focusing soley on their catering. When they closed, I was curious as to what would happen to their building. Would it be taken over by another restaurant, if so would what kinda food would they decide on serving…. Well my questions have been answered. A new diner has moved in and they call themselves The Grillin’ Station. They are your run of the mill diner that serves breakfast, burgers, nachos, burritos, and plenty of fried items to kill a moose. A perk to this menu is that they serve breakfast all day… I love diners that serve breakfast all day.
             
The place looks a little different inside, it’s a lot more bright and open now with most of the license plates taken down… there is even an extra (yet small) sitting room. The rest of the layout and look, even the kitchen are pretty much the same.
          
  After learning about the new joint, I quickly moved in to try them out. I went for lunch with my dad. I ordered a cheese burger with japs, some fries and a sweet tea. My dad ordered the BLT, still baffles me that he’ll buy a BLT that only comes with 3 slices of bacon for 3.99, when I can get a whole pack of bacon for that. But he can’t eat a lot since the surgery, so I guess it makes some sense.
          
  So my burger and fries come; the burger looks good, the fries are your run of the mill medium cut French fries. The fries were nicely cooked and with some salt & pepper go just fine with the burger. The bun is nicely butter and toasted, the veggies fresh, the japs hot, the cheese nicely melted. The burger was simple enough, just a good ole fashion American burger…. Which, believe it or not, can be easily messed up. The burger was well cooked; not dry, good beef flavor and a little extra flavor picked up from their flat-top. My dad enjoyed his BLT well enough. Over all, it was a nice lunch.
          
  I really wanted to try their breakfast, and after some stuff going down at work I managed to get Saturday morning off…. So I used that time to go snag some breakfast from them then head over to the Downtown Farmers Market. After glancing over their menu I chose their Big Grillin’ Breakfast Platter: 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, hash browns, toast/biscuit, and your choice of bacon/ham/sausage. I ordered my eggs over easy, toast and of course bacon. While waiting for my food, a I noticed a couple other people also had ordered pancakes and one of the workers there was going from table to table looking for syrup… it seemed like they only had 2 or 3 bottles….. Which seems kinda odd for this size joint and that sells breakfast all day. But I guess they are still working out the kinks.
          
  My food arrives a little bit later; looks and smells pretty good. The pancakes are of decent size and thickness, the eggs look perfectly cooked, the hash-browns look great & crunchy, the bacon looks nice and crispy, the toast lightly toasted. I dive into the pancakes first; they taste pretty good with that flat-top seasoning, nice and mildly fluffy… maybe just a tad dense, but that’s no biggie for me. I like to dunk my pancakes in some syrup or my egg yolks after I’ve cut into them… soak it all up, Mmmmmm. The eggs were nicely cook and tender. The bacon was pretty good too, nice and crispy nice. The hash-browns could have been great, but sadly they were a bit over salted. I tried mixing them with the egg yolks and some syrup, but that didn’t help much…. Which is a bummer; because I bet they would be amazing otherwise…. I really liked their crunchiness. Was a pretty good breakfast, minus the hash-browns. Next time, I’ll have to remember to ask them to hold off on the salt.
           
Over all it’s a pretty nice diner, and I hope they only get better and stay a while… would be great to see. They are a real friendly trio, working hard to serve the customers and make some good ole simple food. So for all you MCC students (or heck anyone in the 254) that need a pick-me-up breakfast that isn’t from Micky Ds or just a simple burger or maybe some mando nachos…. I think you should give this place a try and welcome them to the 254 local restaurant scene.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment