Friday, January 13, 2012

Texas Sized CFS

Griffs Grill
10400 Wortham Bend Rd.
Waco, Texas 76708

#254-836-4622

Monday- Sunday, Breakfast from 5am- 11am
Monday –Saturday until 8:30pm
Sunday until 3pm



            I learned about this place from a good friend of mine, Abigail, about a year or two ago. Every time we drove by, she’d rave about their fried chicken and sides. By now, y’all know that it can take me a while to try out some places…. But I do make good on it.

            From the outside, Griffs looks like a regular ole hole in the wall gas station that might serve halfway decent food. That is until you see that the parking lot is packed, and I’m betting that they aren’t there for the “awesome” gas prices or gas station hot dogs.  When I went today with my dad we were lucky to snag a parking place and one right up front as well (that’s how we roll.)

            As you walk in, you are hit with a strong fried food aroma… delicious. The first thing you see is the mass of people sitting down, eating some great looking food, all on long bench tables… great way to bring people together. Ahead is a massive menu that covers breakfast, burgers, sandwiches, dinner plates, snacks, salads and plenty of sides to choose from. It takes a while to look over it all. After a few minutes I decide on their Chicken Fried Steak with mashed & mac, along with sweet tea. When I place my order the lady asks me if I want a full or half order of the CFS…. Psshh… “I want the full order”. She does a double take, asks me if I am sure and shows the size of them with her hands (bout the size of a football)… I didn’t realize I looked so small…. I told her I’ll take the full. She doesn’t believe I can finish it. Ha, she must’ve not heard of the beast that is ME!
      
      While I’m getting my drink I look over the bar and watch them cooking the burgers and onion rings, fries, etc… but the thing that really caught my eye (besides their onions rings, which look AWESOME) was my CFS. I watched them hand batter that sucker, and man it was huge… son of a bitch…. But have NO FEAR! I AM MAN, HEAR ME ROAR!
          
They call our order, I go pick them up… and yep, it is even bigger now with all that batter fried up nice and flaky golden brown. As I sit down, I stare at it trying to figure out how to attack this beast. While planning out my attack, I try out their home-made mashed potatoes with brown gravy and their creamy cheesy mac. The mac was pretty dang awesome; great cheesy flavor, it was gooey and creamy…. Can’t be beat for some ole southern mac. The mashed taters were equally as good; great fresh flavor and seasoning with a slightly crunchy texture, the gravy added a great pop… I love me some fresh mashed taters with my CFS. It also came with some nicely buttered toasted bread. Finally I dive into that creature of a CFS; the batter was super flaky, had nice crisp texture and nice subtle buttery flavor with very light seasoning. The meat was lightly seasoned with a nice hint of pepper, nearly fork tender and still steaming hot. Was definitely the biggest CFS I’ve ever eaten (yes I finished it all), and one of the best tasting ones I’ve had as well.

Ive heard a few complaints about service…. But I didn’t experience any problems. I thought it was just fine, better than several others I’ve been to. The place does get extremely busy, the whole time we were there; there was a constant line of people. I’m not saying it was slow, cause it wasn’t for us, but I can see where it could be a little bother-some for someone on a tight schedule. But it the long run it isn’t that bad, you go up place your order, they give you a ticket and call it when ready. Our food didn’t take long to prep and it didn’t take long to place our order. It took longer for me to decide on what to eat. So I recommend if you are on a time crunch, to get there early or get there late (around 1pm). You can also get an order to go, so maybe call ahead. But whatever you choose, it will be well worth it to miss a little work.
        
    Over all, I had a great dining experience… and did I mention this monster lunch only cost me around $10 ($7.69 for CFS, $1.50 for Tea). I definitely plan on going back to try their breakfast, burgers, Philly steak, fried chicken and those awesome looking onion rings. This place could easily make it onto Diner, Drive-In, and Dives. If you haven’t tried them yet, you are missing out.

I hear they have great fried chicken & fried pork chops... so I def plan on going again soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment