Thursday, December 29, 2011

Run away from a Tiger and into a Crocodile

Bangkok Royal
215 S University Parks Drive
Waco, TX 76701

(254) 757-2741

Mon - Sat:11:00 am - 10:00 pm



            So last night I was hangin’ with a couple of my cousins (Rob & James McAttacks), just sitting around watching the Air-Force v Toledo Bowl game (I picked wrong… damnit), we started to get a little hunger. So after little thought we settled on Bangkok Royal, my younger cousin wanted to take his GF there to try it out. I had eaten there only once before with some friends; I don’t really remember what I got… but I believe it was ‘PAD KANA’ =meat sautéed with broccoli & house garlic sauce.
        
           Both my cousins have been here several times before, the oldest one frequents here often with his GF. Their favorite things to usually get are the PANANG CURRY & YELLOW CURRY. But I decided to snag something different from last time and so did Rob. Rob went with their PAD PRIG KHING & I went with their GAI YANG. James picked PAD GRA PROW & Robs girlfriend went with the YELLOW CURRY. All came with Steamed Rice, brown or white.

            So after placing our orders, we chill out & discuss the same ole same ole shit, make fun of the other customers, wonder why there is a stranded Santa on a lonely wall… you know. It’s a really nice place; the wait staff is very nice and on top of it, the place very well decorated and the joint is not very loud, but we decided it wouldn’t hurt with a little back ground Thai music to set the mood some.
So the food arrives… looks and smells delicious. So what is GAI YANG? It’s “Famous Thai style BBQ thighs with sliced cucumber, tomato, and broccoli on the side. Served with house chili sauce.”  Real quick let’s clear one small thing up…. It isn’t what American’s consider BBQ, it’s not smoked, it has been grilled and that is Thai BBQ. The chicken was nearly perfect; It was cooked well, it was juicy and tender, not chewy or burnt or dry. The flavors were very nicely blended and worked very well. The chicken was served over a nice bed of fresh lettuce for appearance and add a little crunchy texture without an over powering flavor. I didn't really touch the cucumbers or tomatoes, but I did enjoy the fresh broccoli dipped in the house chili sauce provided. The house chili sauce was great; I was pouring that on everything on my plate and the rice. It was sweet, a light heat and smokiness to it. The brown rice was pretty good too, I mean it’s just rice, right? Well No, but that another story… but It was cooked just right. Not soggy or too crunchy like many places serve it.

            Both my cousins’ dishes looked pretty tasty, minus the weird green beans and shrooms thrown in. My cousins girlfriend’s dish looked pretty dang good and I believe I’ll try that dish next time- The Yellow curry.

            Over all we had a really most excellent evening to finish off the Old Year; with some great family time and a great meal. Those 3 are off to go skiing for a week, while I stay in town to work and dog sit their mongrels. I highly recommend this Authentic Thai Restaurant for just about any occasion, especially dates….
Green Curry















Yellow Curry

Forgot, but was good




Oh and DONT touch the awesome moving fountain they have by the door as your walk in…..

1 comment:

  1. I always get pineapple fried rice, no meat, extra cashews. YUM!

    ReplyDelete