Friday, February 10, 2012

Ah me! love can not be cured by herbs.

Valentine’s Day is nearly upon the people! Another date that has become greatly associated with FOOD. More specifically candy, other sweets & sometimes (if you are lucky) a nice dinner. I’m sure most of y’all have the majority of your stuff picked out and your reservations made; but I’m bored, so I decided to jot down some nonsense. 


            Most people will buy their sweets a sweet at the local grocery or general store, like HEB or Target. A few will splurge to buy their sweets from locally owned joints, like What About Cupcakes, The Olive Branch, Collin Street Bakery, Bakery Wiseman Chocolate House, or Texas Cheese House.
-What About Cupcakes carries a great selection of freshly made cupcakes, that is pre-ordered can be customized. They are also currently selling their cupcake pops, which are a nice little treat or dessert.
-The Olive Branch also sells their own special cupcakes and occasionally other dessert bars.
-Collin Street Bakery has a wide assortment of baked sweet bread and cookies to choose from.
-The Wiseman House is a sweets candy factory out in Hico, which specializes in chocolate but also carries candies like Peanut Brittle, cookies and such.

Even fewer will order their sweets from a distant place, like Two Dumb Dames or heaven forbid 1-800-Flowers. I’ve actually visited Two Dumb Dames a few years ago while on vacation. Walking in the place you are just smashed in the face with sweet fudgy aroma. They make some of the best fudge and salt water taffy I’ve ever had, and ordered both from them at least once a year just for the hell of it. I only use 1-800 for flowers, not chocolate of candy…. I don’t trust it.

Then there are the brave (and awesome) few who decide to venture out and make their own sweets; chocolate covered strawberries, fudge, cookies, crème brulee, special ice cream, and such. One of my favorite V-Day dishes to prepare is the Crème Brulee with fresh fruit and a simple syrup made from a slightly contrasting fruit. Last year I made French Vanilla Crème Brulee with strawberries inside, topped with strawberry slivers, vanilla sugar, along with blackberry simple syrup. It was her second time every eating Crème Brulee and she loved it; the first time she had it was up at a restaurant in Dallas, and I recommended that she try it, she fell in love with it then. So it was only common sense to make her some for V-day. It can be a little tricky to make, but you can find some simple recipes on the net… I believe Alton Brown has a pretty good one.  

Chocolate covered strawberries are a stand by and very simple to make. But its also cool to mix it up and prepare some other fruits like; blueberries, blackberries, apples slices, pear slices… and if they like peanut butter, throw on some chocolate covered Bananas topped with crunchy PB. Be sure to use high quality chocolate and keep an eye on the heat when melting it… if you can, make a double boiler.
Cookies, cake and pies are pretty self-explanatory, along with rice crispy treats, fudge, divinity, and such. At least in my opinion… then again, I’ve made most of this stuff several times and I can/will answer any questions, if they are asked. Gotta love those last minute plans or even better… last minute emergency’s that can pop up. (same goes for the later)

            For dinner, there are several great options going on around Waco. I know that Salty Dog is a doing a V-Day dinner special with a really awesome looking menu. The same goes for The Olive Branch, who is taking limited reservations for theirs. Other great places that work kill the wallet; Baris Pasta and Pizza, Shorty’s Pizza Shack, Buzzard Billy’s, Bangkok Royal, Cathay House, and a couple others. But if you really wanna kick some ass, make something yourself.

            You can go all out and do a salad, entrée with sides and a dessert. But I prefer to go with the K.I.S.S. method for this occasion. Last year I made pizza from scratch. Pizza is a very simple dish, easily customizable, and who doesn’t love some za? I mean come on, you can make it the pizza into several different shapes- triangle, square, circle, even a cheesy heart(get it?). Then you can pop whatever toppings fit your mood; even write a message in it… cause who doesn’t love food with a message. Last year I went with a square shaped pizza, topped with fresh ham and pineapple, and a couple of smoked cheeses from local makers. With some spare dough, I threw on some special apricot chipotle cheese (from Texas Cheese House) and sprinkled cinnamon for a sweet treat.

            Now I won’t give you MY pizza dough recipe… but I will give you the recipe that we used in culinary class. It’s a classic stand-by.


Home-Made Pizza, some crème brulee, a nice bottle of sparkling sweet wine and a couple of god Horror Movies and we had a set night. Though the best part of this was having her help me make the pizza. She had never made pizza from scratch, and it was really fun to kneed and mix the dough together… by hand…. Fight over how much and where the toppings should go…. Throwing food scrapes at each other… you know, the usual. The crème brulee was my own doing and a surprise for her.



This year I’m flying single and my kitchen floor will not be available to walk no due to remodeling. So I don’t have to worry about any of this hub-bub, but I’m still gonna enjoy some good ole food at my cousins place and it sounds like a plan to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment