Monday, January 31, 2011

The RITE Bar-B-Q


The Eyes of Texas are Upon You
Part 5



Clem Mikeska’s Bar-B-Q
1217 S. 57th
Temple, TX 76504
254-778-5481
http://www.clembbq.com/index.html



So for a couple months now I have been wanting to go down to Temple for a little BBQ, as I have heard and read that Mikeska’s is one of the best in the bizz. But I just never got around to it, something always came up and I really just didn’t want to go by myself. These trip are so much more fun with a friend or two. So Sunday morning rolls around and one of my friends (Ale) texts me, and suggests we go to Temple for lunch and hit up the mall, instead of just staying in town to see The Rite. I thought that was a great idea… not even a broken window on my car was gonna stop me from road-trippin’. (was robbed a couple days earlier- thanks to who ever f-up my SUV for a busted-azz Ipod) .

So after gorilla tapping my window up (stronger than duct tape), loading up the ipod and filling up the tanks we hit the road. What should be a 30-40 minute drive feels like a walk in the park, im not sure if it was the awesome company, the low traffic, great music…. probably a combination of each, but it felt like a short drive. So we exit off into Temple, Im checking the street numbers, looking for 57... I see 49, 50, 52, then all of a sudden I get Ave H and J what shit like that. Apparently I was looking on the wrong side o the road of the underpass and the numbers continued on the other side, so I had to pull a U. But whateve, it all worked out.
So we pulled in, I must say, this is one fancy place. Its huge, its well designed and decorated, it has a outside patio for dinning and a massive inside dinning area (with lots and lots of stuffed animals all over the walls.) Even got an ice-cream and gift shop area. The place looked very clean and shiny, people were friendly. I really liked the over all feel.

So next was the check out the menu, their menu is fairly basic like most BBQ joints. A single meat plate, 2 meat plate, meats by the lbs, sandwiches, sides, potatoes, and desserts. They are a buffet style restaurant, like most BBQ joints. You tell them what you want and they serve it up for ya down the line. I chose the 2 meat plate with Brisket and Turkey, and Ale chooses the sausage plate. For sides I choose the classic yellow potato salad and their cole slaw, a side of spicy sauce and chocolate moose & Oreos for dessert. Ale gets their yellow potato salad, mac & cheese and their regular sauce. Once you go through the line and pay your bill, you walk over the side bar to get your drink, breads, and side items like onions, pickles, peppers, etc. I got some Frost Bite Root Beer since Iver never had it, also picked up some bread and pickles.

The first thing I try is the turkey; It was juicy and had a good flavor. Next was the brisket; it had a nice deep colored smoke ring, was tender and juicy, and had a great flavor. According to his site he seasons the brisket, which I could taste some of. Was a nice overall flavor, but I couldn’t pick out any specific spices. It was some of the best brisket Ive had yet. The cole slaw was nothing very special, Id call it run of the mill Slaw; fresh, sweet, and simple. The potato salad, now this through me for a loop and Ale. The texture was slighty smooth, and you could tell it was fresh… but the flavor… It had this very different after taste, kinda reminded me of jalapenos and allspice, I wonder if there used sweetened jalapenos… cause those would’ve given it this flavor profile or something very close. It was something Id never tasted in potato salad before…. very different. I kinda liked it, it grew on me the more I ate it. The bbq sauce wasn’t anything out of this world, id had better and id had worse. It was your run of the mill tomato based bbq sauce. Last but not least, the Rootbeer, I liked it. Kinda reminded me of Barques Root Beer, but less “bite.”

Over all we had a great time eating lunch there, enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. It was definitely different than what either of us are used to eating in our home town…. but in a good way. Id like to go back and try their ribs and pork loin.

After lunch, instead of heading back to the 254, we decided to visit the Temple mall. Shopped around, walked around (had to loose the BBQ weight), got some Henna Tattoos and got to watch the RITE at the malls theater.

Had a great day with a great friend… and I hope there are more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment