Tuesday, January 18, 2011

$16 Dallas Bar-Ba-Que



The Eyes of Texas are Upon You
Part 4


Big Al’s Smokehouse
3125 Inwood Rd
Dallas, TX 75235
(214) 350-2649
http://www.bigalsbbq.com/



Earlier this week my oldest cousin needed a lift to Dallas for a flight, so naturally I offered my services because I am just that awesome of a cousin. Yep, that must be it…. Not the free dinner and roasted green chilies he offered to me.

So I figured while up in Dallas maybe I could grab so grub. I Google mapped the surrounding area and stumbled upon a BBQ joint called Big Al’s Smokehouse and decided itd be a good place to try out. Not only was it very close to Lovefield Airport, but they have been around for 30 years, so they must be doing something right.

The drive to Dallas really wasn’t that bad, till we got right outside the airport and thanks to a traffic accident, the flow of traffic…. Well it was a crawl. But we eventually made it to Lovefield, dropped his ass off, and then I was FREE! Free to eat some BBQ that is. So I popped on by Big Al’s and scanned their menu.

After glazing over their menu, which is a nice selection of items…. Quite a few meats and plenty of sides to choose from. I did notice that their prices were fairly high, must be ego or Dallas prices, cause I haven’t paid this much for BBQ ever. But I was hungry and wanted to try the place out, so I picked their 2 Meat Plate. For the meats I chose brisket (obviously) and some of their pulled pork (love pulled pork). The brisket they cut in front of you behind a clear panel, and the pulled pork they scooped out of pan in a steam table. The sides, even fries, seem to be self serve… at least at night they are. They had plenty to choose from, but I went with their cole slaw and creamed sweet corn. Its actually funny that they had creamed corn, as I was discussing with my manager earlier in the week, that not many places serve it.. and low & behold I find one that does. For a drink I stuck with a sweet tea, and of course grab some of their BBQ sauce and a jumbo roll. Once all and said, this meal cost me an even $16, the most Ive ever for paid for some BBQ… besides a fund raiser. So the question is… “was it worth it?”

Well the brisket had a decent smoke ring, nice overall texture though I did have a couple of dry and chewy pieces. The flavor was fairly neutral with a hint of smoke, but I didn’t taste any seasoning. The rest of the pieces were juicy and tender. So over all I didn’t really find the brisket to be anything overly special. The pulled pork was pretty good. It was juicy, granted it was sitting in juice and contained in a steam table, but it still had a nice consistency and flavor. It would’ve been good as a sandwich topped with some cole slaw. Speaking of cole slaw, I really like their slaw. It was a thick cut mixture, fresh and crunchy veggies, with a nicely sweet sauce. The creamed corn was by far my favorite dish I got. It was well prepared, great texture, excellent flavor. It definitely wasn’t canned, it was too fresh and flavorful for that. If you like creamed corn as much as me, you’ll enjoy this. The sadest part of the meal was the BBQ sauce, kinda reminded me of watered down ketchup… ya… no bueno.
Oh and I cant forget the self-serve, FREE soft-serve ice-cream they offered. That was a nice touch.

The restaurant itself was very nice and roomy…. Plenty of seating, a couple of Tvs, and the employees were nice. But man was it dead, it was just me and one other guy who was reading the newpaper… while a few people came in throughout to get food to-go.

So back to the question I asked earlier, was it worth $16? Honestly I don’t think it was. Ive gotten BBQ else where that was comparable and nearly half the price. But that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the meal overall, cause I did…. Id just rather not have to pay soooo much for it. Im considering going again to try their ribs and chicken, but I might try to take a friend and each of us get a 1 meat plate and share… cover more. Or if for some reason I take my cousin back up to that airport, or anyone else, Ill probably stop by and pick up a pulled pork sandwich and a side.

No comments:

Post a Comment