Sunday, March 13, 2011

Home BBQ Adventures P2


So obviously I’ve been kinda slacking on my blog posts… For the last couple of months I’ve been fairly busy at work and havent eaten at any new places yet, but I have managed to squeeze in a couple of BBQs at Home. I’ve smoked a couple racks of ribs, a brisket, and have experimented more with my yellow potato salad, deviled eggs, sausage and ice-cream recipes.


The ribs have only been getting better and better; keeping the seasoning simple, the wood sweet and letting them cook till they peel right off the bone. Though my mom keeps asking me if I can make them “less smoky”… ya… smoked ribs “less smoky”. Besides that they are pretty awesome, cant wait to share them with the world one day. The last brisket I did came out alright, wasn’t too fond of the seasoning I used, but it made some great sandwiches and what we didn’t eat I vacuum sealed and froze for later sandwiches.

The newest addition to my culinary arsenal is a meat grinder and sausage maker… made by ACME, so hopefully it doesn’t blow up. But I found it on sale at Academy for $50, much cheaper than the one for $300. It came with 3 different blades and 3 different spouts. I’ve used it 3 times now, making 3 different types of Sausages. Eventually I also want to utilize it to grind my own beef for burgers and such. I made 3 kinds of sausages; Chicken/Spinach/Feta sausage, Beef/Green Chili sausage , and a Beef/Beer sausage. The first two were great hits. Every one who tried the chicken sausage loved it. For the green chili sausage I used authentic chilies from New Mexico that my aunt and uncle brought back to Texas for me. That one turned out pretty well, but several people thought it was a little too hot…. but they are just wimps. The last batch I made was beef and beer sausage. For the beer flavor I tried this de-hydrated beer product. It is a fine powder like substance, that contains everything that is in your basic beer. It smells just like bud light, and when added to water it tastes like bud light. Sadly though I apparently didn’t add enough of it to the sausage mix…. or at least for my taste, so next time I will have to add more to hopefully get a stronger beer flavor.

Deviled eggs are a bbq staple, so every time I throw something on the smoker I also make some deviled eggs. Trying different mixtures of mustard, mayo, relish, bacon and such… and trying different types of mustards too. Most of them turn out pretty darn well…. especially the last batch I made with apple bacon. I’ve also been experimenting with smoking the deviled eggs. I got the idea from one of my BBQ books where the author went to a restaurant and saw on their menu “BBQ deviled eggs”, only to be let down when they weren’t really BBQ’ed, they just threw “bbq” in front. So I thought, why hasn’t any one tried this? I haven’t seen any real BBQ deviled eggs in any books or at any of the places I’ve eaten, so I’ve been experimenting with them…. and I gotta say… they are awesome. I just gotta tweak them a little but more before I show them to the world.

The potato salad has been my biggest hit so far. I haven’t really gone with a recipe, I just took what potatoes I had in the house and prep them. Then started throwing mayo, honey mustard and such in and mixing it up. I like my potato style country style, so I leave some of the skin on and cube them up roughly. Then cook up some apple bacon and hard boiled eggs for flavor and texture. Overall I really like the product I made so far, and only probably only tweak it a little more. Next time I cook some BBQ though I think Ill try out some white potato salad.

The ice cream has just been something fun to mess around with. So far Ive made a cookie n cream ice-cream and then a cinnamon apple ice-cream. Once peaches come into season Ill make a fresh peach ice-cream.

Besides that; Ive been kicken ass and taking names at work, Looking for new places to eat at, and new recipes to try out at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment