Monday, October 3, 2011

Not Healthy? Says Who?

Health Camp
2601 Circle Road
Waco, TX 76706-3805
(254) 752-2081
Open Mon-Thu, Sun 11am-9pm; Fri-Sat 11am-10pm
Website






As most of you already know, Health Camp isn’t exactly healthy. Instead it is deliciousness, greasiness, fried and plenty of ice cream. They have been a part of Waco community since 1948, living on the Circle, and have become a local institution of quality food. Locals, Baylor students and tourists driving off I-35 all love to visit this great joint. I’ve eaten here a few times with family and friends. I must admit, I used to hate driving here cause I can’t stand the Circle. But let’s face it, it’s totally worth it to snag a good ole fashion burger and malt or shake.

It’s a decent size joint, which can probably seat a little over 30 people… and on Baylor Game days it can get packed, before the game starts. They have a pretty simple menu of burgers, hot dogs, fried sides, malts, shakes and if you bring in a banana they’ll make you a Banana Split for $2.99… pretty shweet. When it comes to their malts and shakes they have a bunch of different flavors to choose from, which is pretty awesome since most joints only have the basic- vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry.

I get pretty much the same thing every time I go; A bacon cheeseburger or cheese burger, a RC Cola, fries and a Butter scotch malt to finish it off. I do have to say I eventually stopped getting the bacon cheese burger, since I always felt that the bacon was too chewy… and I don’t like chewy bacon. They might have changed since I left had one with bacon… but I can’t say for sure. I think next time I’ll try one of their chili dogs and different flavor malt. Gotta break away from the routine every once in a while.

I have only been maybe once or twice since I left TAMUG, which was roughly 4 years ago… that’s a long time to go without visiting Health Camp. So I went earlier today to get my fix. I ordered their cheese burger, fries and butter scotch malt. The burgers are pretty good; fresh, good flavor and properly cooked. The veggies used are nice and fresh, not soggy or old. The cheese is nicely melted and gooey. The bun is your run of the mill, hamburger bun. All together it makes one damn fine Burger. The fries are alright, nothing special; throw a little salt n pepper on them with some ketchup and you gott’em made. The malts are pretty good. I usually get the butter scotch malts, they are pretty tasty, but I wouldn’t mind if they made the flavor stronger. The peanut butter malts are also pretty good. MY dad prefers to get the vanilla shake. Both are nice and think, with good flavor, made to order.

Waco has more burger joints than I can shake a stick at, and Health Camp is definitely one of the tops ones. Not just in quality but in historic value and a great atmosphere. If you haven’t been to Health Camp yet you really need to make time in your schedule to hit them up… you definitely won’t be disappointed. Then pick yourself up a burger and a shirt from them that claims “You Survived the Circle.”


Malt/Shake Flavors I have Tried So Far:
Score 1-5

Toasted Marshmallow  3
Butter Scotch     4
S'mores     3

No comments:

Post a Comment