Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bánh mì club

Club Sandwich
400 South 4st.
Waco, Texas 76710
254-304-9424

Tue- Fri: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm

https://www.facebook.com/clubsandwichwaco?sk=info





I wish I knew ever joint in Waco, especially the good ones, but Im generally a little slow on learning about them. I learned about this place last week on a “freak” happening. One of the guys who runs WacoFork.com had some extra Baylor v Iowa state tickets, and would gladly trade them for some golf balls. I had some spare golf balls from when I used to play and I had the weekend off, so I called him up. He went for it and we discussed where to do the trade; Star Bucks (cant stand smell of coffee) or at a joint called Club Sandwich, that doesn’t serve club sandwiches.

We decided to meet up at the Club, trade items, then chow down on some Asian inspired food. Club opened up 2 years ago from tomorrow; which they will be celebrating with special deals on their menu.

It is owned and run by Youngdae Moon, who decided to try his hand at food and really impressed his friends with the dishes he perfected. He seems to be there almost all the time, very friendly guy. Likes to chat it up and check on how you enjoyed the food, like every owner should be. The rest of the staff is also super friendly; makes you really feel welcomed there. Probably has one of the best atmospheres in town when it comes to friendliness and relaxed.

They are a little tricky to find, if you don’t know what you are looking for. It took me a couple passed and thinking about beating my iPhone to death for “lying” to me about the directions. But I found it; while you’re driving down 4th street, look for the Phoenix Ball room and Orange over hangs in the parking lot next to them.

It’s a pretty roomy joint, plenty of seating for a party or big crowd of any kind. They have a simple menu; 7 items, 1 of which they only serve on Fridays- The Flied, I mean Fried Rice. The rest of the menu consists of a couple Korean tacos, wraps, pasta and a couple sandwiches- including the traditional Banh Mi, which is a Vietnamese sandwich that consists of grilled cuts of thinly slice pork marinated in lemon grass, sweet pickled carrots, cilantro and cucumbers served in a crispy baguette. Simple menu and a delicious menu from the looks of it… I love Asian Food! There is a Vietnamese sandwich shop down in down that I always hit while visiting to snag me a Banh Mi…. sadly I haven’t had a chance to eat one at Club Sandwich yet, but that’ll hopefully change tomorrow after work. After I chow down on one, Ill definitely post my thoughts on it.

What I have chowed down on is their Kalbi Jjim (Beef short rib taco) which consists of; “beef short ribs slow-braised in a mixture of sugar, soy sauce, mirin wine; shredded and served in a warm tortilla with fresh cabbage, cilantro, onions and choice of sauce.” They have two sauces to choose from- Lime Cilantro or Blackberry Chipotle Vinaigrette… and we’ll get to those here in a bit.

The short rib tacos, to say the least are Most Excellent! The first time I went, I just ordered one, just to try it and since I wasn’t really hungry. Well after eating the first one, I went and ordered 2 more. They are decently sized tacos, with ample portions of meat and veggies.. and for just $2.25, they can’t be beat. The meat is cooked perfectly; nice and tender, very juicy and wonderful flavor. You can taste the sweetness of the sugar, the light saltiness of the soy sauce and the savory mirin wine…all combined it is just great. The cabbage, onions and cilantro are all fresh. I must admit I’m not a huge fan of cilantro since it can be overwhelming, so I pick most of it off.

I have tried both of the sauces, and the Blackberry Chipotle is by far my favorite. Homemade sauces are always great additions, and this brings a slight smokiness & bitter-sweetness to the meal. Really really good, I bet it’d be good on plenty of other items as well.

Over all I’ve really enjoyed both experiences there and plan on going back several times more. The only “down side” to the whole deal is, since they make it all fresh and use local products, they can sometimes run out of items on the menu. Like today they only had 3 items still available. But if they are selling out of stuff, they must be doing something right in the flavor department. It’s what some of the best BBQ joints do, so why not a sandwich shop? Snooze ya loose!!!

If you are ever in Down-Town Waco or over on Baylor campus and looking of a good Asian sandwich you gotta hit Club Sandwich…. And tell’em DavieG sent ya! You wont be disappointed. One of Waco’s hidden Gems.

Oh, and if you are a non-beef eater or vegan; they also have tofu that can replace the real meat. But don’t expect to ever catch me near that spongy odd stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment