Sunday, October 23, 2011

Can Food Save Your Mortal Soul?

Beatnix Burger Barn & Cafe
1700 Colcord
Waco, Texas
254-235-9555
Mon. - Sat.: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Fri. & Sat. Nights: 1:00 am to 4:00 am
Website





I am still without kitchen, except my grill & smoker. So I go out to eat for breakfast and lunch most days. Early last week I decided to pop in to Beatnix try their Texas Philly & their Funnel Fries (funnel cake batter made into the shape of fries- who can say no to that?). They recently just got done remodeling their joint; new floor, new ceiling and new chairs- all of which looks really good and fits the joint perfectly. Especially love the new seats and the crazy man that was staring down my chow the whole time.

The Texas Philly is slice beef, pepper jack cheese, mayo/mustard/ and jalapenos on a small French baguette. When I say small, it’s about half the size of a regular Philly cheese steak; but a foodie knows that its Quality not quantity that makes the food. The quality is all there; a good portion of well-seasoned and tender meat, nicely melted & slightly spicy cheese, freshly sliced jalapenos all on a fresh crispy baguette. Very filling and carries a punch. Will definitely be grabbing another one of these soon.

Now those funnel fries were MOST EXCELLENT. Hot, crispy, great flavor, with honey drizzled over them. Who’s ever idea it was to make and serve these- Hit the jack pot. I told my dad about them, and he asked me to bring him one to try. I fought over whether I should eat the last one and just order another batch…. Which was very tempting… but I was able to resist the urge and save one for him to try. Was probably the hardest decision I had to made all week.

Together these items really hit the spot, great combination; the crispy, the sweet, the spicy…. Yum yum. I highly recommend that you try them together; but if one doesn’t fit your fancy and the other does, dig into the one that does.

Ben and Penny are two of the friendliest restaurant owners out there, I think. Always glad to see ya, tend to remember you and what you like to eat, keep the atmosphere going nice and calm with their banter. If you haven’t hit up Beatnix yet, you are definitely missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment