Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Good Big Ole Breakfast




Kims
2600 W Waco Dr
Waco, TX 76710-7443
(254) 756-5951

Kim’s restaurant, been in Waco for longer than I’ve been alive… serving up breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is on Waco drive and 26th street, almost in the center of Waco, so it’s a great place to stop by for a bite to eat wherever you are. I eat there a couple times a month… usually lunch or dinner. But their breakfast… their breakfast is one of the best.

Well today I was lucky enough to get my ass up in time and have enough cash on me to buy a big ole breakfast from them. Oh yeah.

So I ordered the Texan- 2 large pancakes with a big pad of butter, 2 eggs cooked your way, hash browns, home-fries or grits, and 3 strips of crispy bacon. If you get it to go you also get two little cups of syrup. This is very well priced too, $7 for the meal. The pancakes are fairly large, as big as the to-go box and decently thick. They are hearty, yet soft and sweet, with a little crispiness around the edges. They are pretty damn good. The eggs can be cooked in any way you want, I used to get them scrambled, but now I get them poached. They were always good scrambled, but after trying them poached I feel in love. So I can be very picky with how they are cooked. I don’t like them too runny and I don’t like stiff… I get them done medium. Kim’s cooks usually get it right, once in a blue moon Ill get one over cooked. For the potato dish I usually get their home-fries without onions. Chucks of potatoes, sautéed till golden brown.. good flavor and texture. I’ve tried their hash browns, and they are very similar to McDonalds hash browns… but better. I like their bacon, its always fresh and done very crispy and greasy… got to love that. I could just eat their bacon, sometimes I order a few extra slices even.

They are one of my favorite places to eat for breakfast and have turned several friends onto this place. When you decide to go eat there in the morning, they have a very nice atmosphere. Real nice old ladies work behind the counter, and a couple of younger women too… who carry a little attitude. Usually there is a big group of older men who eat breakfast there, lawyers, judges and retired men who eat breakfast together almost every morning there. Reminds you of an old style diner, which I guess it is. Since I don’t think they have renovated it since I’ve been alive.

So If you wake up one morning and are a little hungry for a big old breakfast, head over to Kim’s!

(addition)
--I live just a couple blocks from Kim’s, so I not only get breakfast from them occasionally I also pick up lunch and dinner from them when I really don’t feel like cooking. Ive had their burgers, their steak sandwiches, their Philly cheese steak, chicken fried steak, chicken tenders, steak fingers, and even their Rueben.

They have pretty decent burgers that are probably 6oz patties, always a good flavor and never dried out. I really like to get their steak sandwich or Philly cheese steak…. Both are pretty tasty. Their CFS is alright, Ive gotten great ones and Ive gotten really chewy ones. The chicken tenders are a good meal with the addition of a baked potato, their steak fingers aren’t anything special… premade and frozen. My dad really likes to get their Rueben, has great flavor.

If you are ever in middle Waco and craving some lunch or dinner, pop on in and give them a try. They have a pretty nice diner style menu and good prices for the food and I usually get my food to go… but its just as nice to eat there with friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment