Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dont Have to Cross the Ocean

D’s Mediterranean Grill
1503 Colcord
Waco, Texas 76707
(254)-754-6709

New Website



The first time I ate here was with my dad, he really likes the place and has taken several friends and family members there. It’s a nice quaint little joint down on Colcord, in a little metropolis of other joints like Beatnix, World Cup Café and a few shops.

You walk in, it’s a nice quite atmosphere (even when packed) and is decorated with pictures of their home country. They have their Mediterranean menu and an American menu. All of which is made to order and from scratch.

The first time I went was with my dad. We walk up to the counter to look over the menu and talk to the guy…. asking him what’s in everything and how to pronounce it all. He was real nice, helpful and informative. After looking it all over I settled on the Lamb Kabob on a bed of rice with two sides- spanakopita (sautéed spinach & feta rolled up in buttery filo dough) and I had to try their mashed potatoes, it also came with 2 slices of unleavened bread… and for dessert I ordered one of the lady fingers.

So I place my order, go sit down and wait. Wasn’t very busy when I first got there, but by the time my food rolled out, the place was nearly packed. They call your number and bring over to you. First thing I noticed was the awesome aroma filling the air from my dish as it approached. You could smell the bell peppers, the seasoning, the lamb… was awesome.

The first thing I tried was the mashed potatoes, I like mashed potatoes a lot so I had to give them first shot. They were alright, nice texture, decent flavor, served with classic white gravy. They weren’t anything special but… they definitely weren’t bad either. They serve a chicken fried steak, so I bet they go better with that than my lamb. Next I tried the spanakopita (he told me how to pronounce it a couple of times, I still can’t get it… hahaha). It was freaking great, the dough was the flakiest dough I’d ever eaten, lightly sweet, crisp, was just amazing. If I could’ve made my dough that flaky in pastry class I would’ve been set ;) . The spinach and the feta cheese stuffing had a great flavor, nice and creamy texture, these were definitely made from scratch. Then I tried the rice on which the main dish rested upon. It’s not your plain white or brown rice, its Mediterranean style rice I suppose. It was pretty good, welled cooked and a decent flavor. Now we come to the main dish… lamb kabob with grilled squash, zucchini, shallots and red bell peppers. The lamb was well seasoned, perfectly cooked with still a little pink in the center, tender and flavorful. Some of the best lamb I’d every had. The veggies were seasoned as well, nicely grilled, nice and sweet. Really loved the bell peppers.

The second time I went was lunch with the guys who started Wacoboard.com, Luke and Kyle. This is one of their favorite places to chow down at in Waco. They eat here about once a week; Kyle loves their Chicken Tenders, while Luke got a Gyro and loves their Baklava (s a rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo pastry filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with syrup or honey). I got their lamb gyro as well with a side of their fries.

We had a good time talking about local businesses, Wacoboard, my blog and of course food. D’s has some great food, and I can see why they come here so often. I really enjoyed my Gyro, but I fear there was something in it that I was allergic too… so I wasn’t able to finish it all. The lamb was flavorful and tender, well-seasoned; the lettuce fresh, the sauce had a great savory flavor, the wrap was good too. The fries were also excellent; fresh, perfectly crispy, great flavor and steaming hot. Some of the best fries in town. We spent a good 5 minutes alone just talking about how we think they make them.


About the time we were finishing up, kyle let me try one of the chicken tenders… "O.M.G"….. They were most excellent. The meat was juicy and tender, the seasoning was great, and the batter was nice and crispy. I was originally afraid of ever ordering off their American menu; since I figured they’d focus on the Mediterranean menu and half ass it with the American one like so many other places. But man was I wrong. They put just as much effort into making these tenders awesome as they do their Main food. Next time I hit this joint, Im gonna have to get a batch of these babies for myself. Best chicken tenders in town… hands down.

Over all I had several great experiences and will most definitely keep going back, and often. They have all kinds of interesting things on their menu... and wanna try as much of them as I can.

*If you live in Waco and surrounding area and haven’t joined Wacoboard.com yet, you should really 
look into it*



 

No comments:

Post a Comment