Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Eyes of Texas are Upon You: Part1




The Eyes of Texas are Upon You
Part 1
Georgetown Bar-B-Que
723 W. University Ave.
Georgetown, Texas 78626
(512) 864-7389
Open: Monday - Saturday 10am-8pm


So for my Bar-B-Que Adventures I started it off down in Georgetown. Not too far from where I live and it’s a nice small town, and its right off I-35... real easy to find.

But first I gotta go off on a small tangent and say odd people should have their depth-perception tested at least once a year, for most of the way down there I had this 80 year old fool tailing me… Id pull away and put some distance between us weaving between what cars were on the road, Id start cruising again… and *blam* the old fart is back on my tail. Not sure what was up, but it was Annoying. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Alright, back to the Que. So pulled into the joints little parking lot, first thing that hit me is the smell of Bar-B-Que.. who would’ve guessed. It looks like a very moderate place, nothing fancy. So I walk in, its nice and quiet, dim lighting, ample seating and I got there before the rush. I take a look at their menu, there is plenty to choose from- sandwiches, meats and plates, and packs for to-go and of course desserts (which I failed to get this time). it’s a cafeteria style service. I stare at it for a while before I decide on their 2-meat plate; which is 2 meats of your choice, 2 sides, bread, pickles, onions and bbq sauce. For the meats I chose brisket (non-lean) and pork loin. For sides I picked potato salad and slaw and a cup of bbq on the side. I also order a big ole glass of Sweet tea to top it off (and better yet, they have the awesome crunchy ice). You go through the line, one person cuts the meat and weighs it out in front of you, then a second person piles on the sides, gives you your drink and rings you up. I pick a booth to sit in, so I can eat in peace and relax a little after my drive.

I start with the potato salad. First thing I notice is that they leave the skins on the potatoes… which I love. Second, I notice it looks smooth and not chunky. It has a very good flavor, its mustard potato salad, but they don’t use a lot of mustard. The mustard flavor is very light, they didn’t use too many pimentos or onions and the texture was great. Really loved their potato salad. Next I tried the cole slaw. Thick and hearty, looked well dressed. The dressing wasn’t very sweet, but that’s fine, it had a very nice mellow flavor. The texture was great, not soggy at all, but crunchy and fresh. Now the pork loin, I love pork loin. I cook it more than anything else… smoke it, grill it, roast it, etc. I didn’t notice a smoke ring, so I am guessing they roasted it. It did however have a hearty crust formed from seasoning and maybe a baste. It was nice and moist, the meat it self had a nice and mellow flavor, the crust is what had the pop & zip to it. Over all the pork was good. Next was the Brisket, Texans meat of choice. The brisket was definitely smoked with a seasoned crust… similar to the pork. Was tender, could almost cut it with my fork, moist and had a very nice flavor. Some of the best brisket I have had, besides my own. ;) Last but not least I tried the BBQ sauce. Man, I have tried all kinds of bbq sauces in my life. Tomato based, vinegar based, ones with whiskey, ones with beer, ones with even fruit in them. But this one, I swear had red wine it in. It was tangy with a aftertaste of wine. It caught me totally off guard, but I like it. I kept eating it, it was just amazing and new. I was probably making all kinds of weird faces when I ate it, just trying to figure out what all was in it. Ill definitely being going back, just to have another crack at that sauce.

Overall I had a great experience at this BBQ joint, and if you are every traveling down or up I-35, or are even in the Austin region.. if you got the time stop by this place. You wont be disappointed. I know I wasn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment