Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Taste of The Yankees



Metro Restaurant + Bar
719 Austin Ave.
Waco, Texas 76710
(254)-399-8635
http://www.metrowaco.com/



Before there was Metro R&B there was Austin’s on the Ave. I pretty much lived at Austin’s for the first 2 years they were open; celebrated my 21st there, spent many nights after class & work there and eventually I even got a job as one of the cooks when they first opened the kitchen. I knew everyone and everything about the place, was a great bar with great atmosphere and with decent food. So when I heard that Austin & Leslie were selling the place, I was really worried about who might move in. Would they leave it as Austin’s, would they improve or kill the kitchen, how would they change the lay out, would they still rock the live music weekly.

To be honest when I heard that they were gonna change the name to “Metro R&B” I was a little caught off guard. Then I heard they were revamping the whole menu… which was good, it needed that. I just wasn’t expecting such a huge change. And with the claims of it being “Fresh”, “made in house” and “best chefs in Waco”; I was a little hesitant on trying this joint out. When a joint claims to have the “best chefs” in Waco… that’s a lot to live up to… especially since I’m not working there ;)

Their menu isn’t your everyday Waco food; they got special hotdogs, some interesting sandwiches like pizza steak & lamb with beef, different style “Phillies. They have fried plantains, knish, fried provolone, etc. As well as your run of the mill pastas, buffalo wings, salads and fries. They have just a little bit of everything.

My first experience with them was one night after hopping a few bars & I was looking for some chow. Garrett’s had already closed their kitchen, so I reluctantly popped into Metro. Tania and Laura were working the bar, they are awesome women, I’ve known them both since Austin originally opened. I glance over the menu, kinda one eyeing it. I pick out their “Real Deal Cheese Steak” and a Dos Equis.

So while the sandwich is being made, I catch up with the girls. It finally comes out, doesn’t really take very long. It looks pretty good, smells even better. But looks and smells can be greatly deceiving; the meat had decent flavor but was very chewy, not how “grilled angus steak” for a Philly should be. The cheese wasn’t very flavorful, and there wasn’t a lot of it; a Philly should be COVERED in cheesy awesomeness. The bread was a little dry, and even though I requested “no onions” I found some onions in it. I love Philly Cheese Steaks, so this was “heart breaking.”

After that I was really really reluctant to go again, but I had to give them another try and get to know the place better. So last week for lunch I went by and picked up their “30th Ave Greek Gyro” for myself and the “Havana on the Hudson Cuban” for my father, with a side of “Frites” aka Fries. The Greek Gyro is a lamb & beef sandwich on pita bread, the Havana Cuban is a “Latin twist on the ham & cheese sandwich.” The “frites” are their “hand cut French fries.”

While waiting for my food, I hung around and checked out the changed in the place. They got a couple of big murals in the joint not, apparently the wife of one of the bartenders painted them. Their bar counter lights up all blue now, the kitchen has a big ole window in it; they’ve really revamped the place.

The Gyro was actually pretty dang good. The lamb and beef were nice and tender, great flavor. The lettuce and cucumbers were nice and fresh, added a coolness to the heated lamb & protein; the tzatziki sauce was flavorful and added a nice touch. The pita bread was already very good, not dry or stale, had great flavor. Really enjoyed the sandwich and will definitely be getting it again, after I try a few other menu items. The fries were also pretty good, tasted fresh and seasoned well… they did a good job on those as well.

So over all I think they are heading into the right direction with their food. I will definitely be going back to try a couple more of their menu items; like their plantains, fried provolone, pizza steak and some of their “sabrett NY style hot dogs.” So if you are ever in the d-town area of Waco and are looking for some chow, go ahead and give Metro R&B a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment