Thursday, September 22, 2011

Best Burritos in Town





Lolitas Restaurante
1911 Franklin Ave
Waco, TX 76701
254-755-8008


One of the best breakfast & lunch joints in Texas. I’ve been eating here for as long as I can remember. The place is owned and run by Jerry & Lolly Bergstad; but as of recently due to health reasons, it is mostly Lolly & their oldest son that you’ll be seeing there. Whenever you go in, you should definitely say hi to them, they are great people. They have been a part of Waco's restaurant scene for decades, and I hope they stay around for decades more.

Gerry is German descent and I believe from North Dakota, where Lolly is Hispanic… so go figure. They serve authentic Mexican food and burritos for lunch and breakfast, with a menu and pricing that can’t be beat. My favorite thing to get there is their breakfast burritos; their Bacon, egg, cheese and potato and their chorizo, egg, and potato. There are also plenty of items I haven’t had a chance to try yet like their enchiladas, menudo, barbacoa, and their guisada. But today I am gonna talk about my usual breakfast.

This morning I called in a pick-up order of; 2 Bacon, egg, potato, and cheese burritos, 2 chorizo, egg, potato and cheese, and a slice of their cake. All of this cost me $10.99 on the dot. That isn’t bad for 4 freshly made burritos and homemade cake. A lot better than that crap you get from a chain burrito place that moved here a while back, that gives you more filler than anything else. Quality is more important than quantity… and if you think about it, about 3 of Lolita’s burritos is equal to the size of the other others place and come to be about the same price. If you wanna get a giant burrito you can always grab one of their "Elephante", which is a 10inch burrito filled with; sausage, bacon, beans, egg, potato and cheese...and what a deal.

The chorizo burritos are great; they are tender, have great flavor that balance well with whatever you throw in there with it. If you don’t know what chorizo is, don’t look it up until after you’ve downed one of these babies. The potatoes carry their own with the . The eggs are freshly cooked and aren’t over cooked like many places I’ve been. No single ingredient really pops alone, but when they morph together; it is perfect harmony. The B/E/P/C burritos are my favorite; I get these more often than anything else. The eggs are tender and flavorful, perfectly cooked. The Potatoes are tender with no real seasoning, but the way they cook them adds some major flavor. The cheese is warm, gooey and awesome. They don’t use American cheddar or Velveeta or any of that crap. It looks like they use a white cheddar or pepper jack. The bacon is my best part; perfectly crispy, never chewy, cooked in its own deliciously great fat/grease. LOVE IT.

The tortillas are delicious and soft with great flavor. I usually hate flour tortillas, but these don’t have the over powering flour flavor that many do. Oh and did I mention it seems that they seem to cook just about all their foods in good ole fashion Lard… the flavor and pop definitely show that with each bite. Their freshly made pico and house salsa are also most excellent. My dad always orders a bunch of pico, and I always snag their salsa. The salsa has a great bite, I could pretty much drink the stuf... okay so I have... like I did this morning. -Dont judge me-

Last but not least their desserts; cookies and cake. When I was younger I used to always get a slice of their pink frosting cake with my burrito. Today was the first time Ive eaten a slice in probably 4 years… insane I know…. But it tasted just as awesome as it did from when I was a kid. Slightly crumbly, moist, mild cinnamon flavor, great smooth vanilla frosting and some sprinkles for crunch; Some great cake. My parent’s favorite dessert to snag there is their sugar cookies. These babies melt in your mouth delicious. Baked fresh with plenty of butter or lard; which lends to the smooth and melty texture of the cookies. To bite in them, they have a slight crunch… then dissolve away to a sugary sweetness, with just a slight “bite.”

If you haven’t tried this little joint out yet, you definitely need to. I’m sure you will greatly enjoy whatever you order from them to chow down on. I have yet to get a bad order from them and love the atmosphere when I dine in. They open up pretty early in the morning and close around 2 every day, but they are close on Mondays..

I do have one little peeve though; If you decide you wanna go through the drive through… please call in your order. Many people will go through the DT and place their order at the window. These orders are made to order… not pre-made… so the drive through can be very slow. My recommendation is, if you want some grub to go; call ahead, then go inside. Will be much faster and much appreciated by the Jerry and Lolly. Jerry used to actually have a sign that requested people to call ahead their orders, but people kept tearing it down. Apparently dialing 7 numbers and giving your order is too difficult for most. My dad always joked around saying he “would stand outside the window and program Lolitas number into everyone’s cell phone.”
254-755-8008

No comments:

Post a Comment