Sunday, August 14, 2011

Super Duper Burger




CLOSED CLOSED CLOSED


Garretts @ 725
725 Austin Avenue, Waco, TX 76706
(254) 752-8700
Tues - Thurs: 5:00 pm-10:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 5:00 pm-12:00 am

Part 3:

I usually don’t write 3 part reviews… but this burger and this evening…. I just had to share it.


So a couple days ago while at work I was scanning Facebook on my iPod when I came across a photo of this big ole burger, posted by Chef Rolf and Garretts. It looked just….. just awesome, so I had to see the details on it: 1/2 pound house ground sirloin burger with aged cheddar, green Chile pulled pork and radish-Serrano pico. Made my mouth water…. Then I read that it was for the lunch menu that they are starting next week (8/16/2011) which was really disappointing. So I messaged Chef Rolf to see if he might be able to pull one little ole burger together for me to chow down on for dinner. He said he probably could pull something out.

I finally head to Garretts after drinking a few brews up at the Salty Dog. They have a nice little crowd sitting in, I go sit down at the bar area like usual. I like the bar cause that’s where most of the workers hunker around when its slow or when they need to place an order, and it’s fun talking with them all. Rebekah is there working away like usual, Charles is working the bar… and there is a new face (kinda, Ive seen her on Facebook). Her name is Aoife… pronounced “EE-fa”, not A-Oi-Fe… like I mistakenly thought.. but even she pronounces her name wrong, so its all good- lol. Remember this and don’t make a buffoon out of yourself like me…;) Cause I couldn’t get it right all night… I’m gonna blame the booze though. Mr. Bill Garrett was there too, eating a nice steak and hanging out with friends or family.

I place my order with Rebekah, since its kinda of an ‘off the menu’ item as of the moment and order a Dos from Chase. So while waiting for my food I talk to the crew, catching up, talking about business and such.

This monstrosity of a burger comes out, looks just massive. People are people I wont be able to finish it all… blah blah blah. To quote Burger King- “I am MAN hear me Roar!” (too corny?).

I start to chow down on this awesomeness that is a burger. The beef patty is thick, medium rare, juicy and very flavorful (cue the gay jokes). Most burgers that size Ive had are dry or flavorless… so I was very happy this wasn’t. The pulled pork was tender, juicy and could greatly taste the awesomeness that is Green Chiles. The cheese and pico were also greatly goodness. With bits of extreme heat punching you (due to the Serrano and Green Chiles) and with the cooling effect of the radish & cheese… Combined it was like a mini orgasm in the mouth. While eating, and conversing and drinking… Chef Rolf brings me out something they have been experimenting with lately, something very interesting; seared pork belly with a thickened au jus, mashed potatoes and green beans. Oh man oh man… that’s pretty much pure fat with a little bit of pork meat on it… melt in your mouth goodness. “EE-fa” didn’t like it, apparently she doesn’t like fat on her food (doesn’t know what she is missing). Before I touched it, I wanted to (have to) finish the burger.

After a couple more beers, I finally finish the burger… HA. Sadly by now the pork belly is a little chilled, but no worry, with its high fat content… it was still Delicious, I could’ve eaten a whole plate of that stuff. The homemade mashed potatoes… also amazing. After finishing everything Mr. Garrett comes up to me and offers to pay for it all if I finish a second burger… how tempting… but I feared I’d have to be rolled home if I did. Heck, this is the first time I haven’t ordered dessert.

Before I bowed out, I looked over their menu for lunch to see what they had installed. It is a much lighter menu, in price and style, but still looked very good. There were a couple things that really caught my eye and Id like to try… like the blueberry chicken salad. It was just an amazing dinner and, great music, great company… just one awesome evening.

So if you want to take some clients, friends or family out to a truly awesome lunch or to just try one hell of a damn good Gourmet Burger for a reasonable price you definitely gotta stop by Garretts.

No comments:

Post a Comment