Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ring the Bell Bubba


Bubba's on Hewitt
1520 B Hewitt Drive
Waco, TX 76712
(254) 420-3500
http://www.eatatbubbas.com/specials.html


I don’t play WacoBoard.com as much as I’d like, and usually the main reason I check it is to see if any new places have joined that I’ve never been to or heard of. Last week while goofing around on the site I found Bubba’s. It is a country style dinner, with two locations (one in Hewitt and one by Lake Waco Golf Course). I visited the one on Hewitt Drive since it is closer.

Contrary to what their website says, they are no longer open on Mondays… I learned that the hard way. But whatever…. I still found a decent lunch last Monday.

It’s a small little joint, kinda hidden away. When you go try this place, look for the Dominos, it is right there. I went a little before the busy lunch hour, while it was slow so I could take my time and chill. I sat over in the booths so I could recline… naturally. (I can’t be the only one who does that, can I?)

The waitress came over and told me the daily special and took my drink order. The special was the Club Sandwich, that didn’t really interest me. I wanted something that was more challenging. They have a pretty vast men with salads, wraps, plenty of different burgers, steaks and sandwiches, even a kids meal and breakfast. I was stuck on getting the Burger, Chicken Fried Steak or Patty Melt. I was really hungry so I went with the Chicken fried steak, mac and mashed. I originally wanted slaw, but they were out… ehh whacha gonna do.

So while waiting on my food, which really wasn’t very long, a couple groups come in to chow down… one seems like they visit regularly. It finally comes, a big ole CFS, scoop of mac and homemade mashed potatoes, toast and of course plenty of gravy. The CFS appears crunchier that most others Ive had. It’s a good tender cut of meat. The breading was pretty thick, nice and crunchy, and a little flaky; it was a pretty good CFS. The mashed potatoes were pretty damn good too. They left some skins in them, and I love when skins are left in the mashed. They had good consistency and flavor. They were probably my favorite part of the meal. The mac was my least favorite. It appears cheesy and gooey… but the flavor just wasn’t there. Seemed really bland; which was really disappointing for 2 reasons. 1) Cause all the other food was pretty good. 2) I love Mac N Cheese.

Over all I enjoyed the meal; It was filling, good price, nice atmosphere. I think next time I go I’ll grab either a burger or patty melts. Id really like to try their Breakfast… but I don’t think I could stand the drive… I want breakfast close. Haha.

If you are ever down in the Hewitt area, give them a try. They have a good menu, good food (so far), service and good atmosphere. All equaling a seal of my approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment