Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hong Kong French Toast




Dave’s Hong Kong French Toast

CNN Article that Inspired this.

So a couple of days ago I came across an article that listed what they considered “World's 50 most delicious foods” and one of the items that caught my eye was “Hong Kong style French Toast.” I thought it sounded awesome, so I decided Id make some that later Sunday.

I didn’t have a recipe to go on, so I decided to just throw my own together based on the info the article gave me.

RECIPE:

→ 4 Slices, Texas Sized Sliced, White Bread
→Crunchy Peanut Butter
→1/2 Stick Butter (salted)
→1 Large Egg
→Pure Maple Syrup

For the batter:

ɷ3 Large eggs
ɷ4 Tablespoons Buttermilk
ɷ2 Tablespoons Pure Ground Cinnamon

Instructions:

ڡTake two slices of bread and spread about 1-2tbsps of peanut butter onto each slice. Then press a slice of bread onto each of those. Forming 2 peanut butter “sandwiches.”
ڡWhisk the ingredients of the batter together and pour into a square pan no bigger than 8in x 8in and no shallower than 1in. If you don’t have a square pan, you can use a bowl to, just make sure it is big enough for the bread to fit into decently.
ڡHeat the butter in a skillet, over medium heat.
ڡSoak the peanut butter “sandwiches” in the batter for a few seconds on each side.
ڡLay the “sandwiches” into the heated butter, cook on each side for 1-3 minutes…. Or until nice and golden brown. Don’t throw away the spare batter.
ڡSent the French toast aside, cover with a towel to keep warm.

ڡWhisk the extra egg into the batter and pour into the skillet to make scrambled eggs.
ڡServe the French Toast and the Eggs with real maple syrup.

-Id never used the spare batter to make scrambled eggs before, so I thought Id give it a try and they turned out real nicely. Fluffy, “eggy”, with a hint of cinnamon. If you drizzle syrup over the eggs, it makes them even better. This was by far my favorite French Toast Id ever eaten, and I eat a lot of French Toast. I hope ya’ll enjoy and play around with the recipe some to make it your own.

I will try to post new, and better pictures soon. (last edited 11/28/2012).

No comments:

Post a Comment