Sunday, July 24, 2011

Affordable Fine Dining in the 254 ; Part 2




CLOSED CLOSED CLOSED

Garretts @ 725
725 Austin Avenue, Waco, TX 76706
(254) 752-8700
Tues - Thurs: 5:00 pm-10:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 5:00 pm-12:00 am

Part 2:

I recently visited Garrett’s for a second time after seeing a Special for Spaghetti and Meatballs with a side salad for $14 and ½ off wine. I mean who can beat passing up homemade spaghetti, meatballs and ½ wines… that’s a no brainer. So I plan the night around eating dinner at Garrett’s; Have a couple beers with my cousin at the Salty Dog, Hit Garrets, listen to some music at Austin’s on the Ave, then back to the Dog to wrap up the night. I tried to get my cousin & his girlfriend to join me at Garrett’s but they already had plans to eat there the following night.

So I stop by, say high to Rebecca and take a seat at the bar. She hands me the menu and the wine list… I already know what I want to eat, so I glance around at the wines and chose a Prosecco (dry sparkling white wine). So I get my wine and place my order. While waiting on my salad (with a Caesar dressing) I talk to the Bartender and Rebecca, to see how business has been going, what they got in the works, and such.

So the salad comes, I pour on the dressing… which really doesn’t look like a Caesar dressing, but I go along with it. It was alright, definitely homemade, but it had a rather strong citrus/lemon flavor that I wasn’t too fond of. I’m not sure if that’s how they style their Caesar dressing or if they gave me the wrong one, either way I rolled with it and finished my salad. Besides the dressing not being my favorite, the vegetables were nice and fresh, as they should be.

Once I finished my salad they brought out the Spaghetti & Meat Balls with some garlic bread. The first thing I tried was the past and tomato sauce. The pasta was cooked perfectly al-dente and had a good flavor. The tomato sauce was made of freshly chopped tomatoes and onions, so it wasn’t exactly a “sauce”, but was still extremely good, fresh and flavored the pasta perfectly. On top of Spaghetti, all covered in Cheese, was 3 meat balls, all delicious and made just for me. I’m not sure what meats the meat balls were made of; but I think it was a beef/pork mixture. They were flavorful, with great seasoning and meat flavor. They were crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside. The best meat balls I’ve ever had at a restaurant. The Garlic bread was a baguette, sliced thin, buttered and lightly toasted.

Last but not least, I figured I would go all out and get something for dessert. But what, what to get. I had a toss-up between “moms” bread pudding or a chocolate mousse. So I asked Rebecca what I should get, she said both are great choices, but that they were working on a new dessert- Chocolate Cake with Peanut butter mousse, whipped cream and fresh strawberries. She had me hooked as soon as she said “peanut butter.” So I obviously I decided on that. Though to be honest I was a little worried that the chocolate was going to overpower the peanut butter flavor, as I’ve tasted in previous cases. It was awesome; neither flavor was overpowering and complimented each other very well. Topped off with whipped cream and fresh strawberries, it was a most excellent finish to a great dinner.

Not only was the meal great, but once again the staff was friendly and on top of the ball. Checking on refills of water, wine, and checking on how I liked the food. The live piano man was great, really added to the already great atmosphere. Overall it was once again a great experience and Highly Recommend Garrett’s for a great dining experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment