Thursday, November 11, 2010

Old School Detail Bar-B-Que







The Eyes of Texas are Upon You
Part 2

Old Fashion Bar-B-Que
900 West Waco Drive
Waco, TX 76701




So today I slept in and watched a documentary on Texas Bar-B-Que, after all that and getting cleaned up, I went by Academy to pick up some wood (mesquite and apple) and new boots for work. After finishing my errands, I was hungry and wanted some lunch. But I wanted something new to try… I could try a couple of Mexican joints, and one odd seafood, but I was in the mood for BBQ and I remember seeing one on Waco Drive on the ride back from a Shakira concert a month back. So I headed that way and finally came upon it, only to find out they weren’t open at the time being… or at least that’s what I gathered from the old guy standing outside. So I turned around and decided to go home to eat a sandwich… when low and behold I spotted another BBQ joint… so I pulled a quick Uie and turned into the parking lot.

When I got out of my car and could smell the awesomeness of BBQ smoke… made me very happy. When you walk up to it, you’ll notice it pretty much is a hole in the wall… but that’s the great part about it. It has a area where they smoke the meat, you can tell by the blacked top of the wall and the small chimney pipe, they have a ordering area and a small place to sit and eat out side… if you wish. There were two guys there before me, one of whom said he could smell their smoke across the street while getting gas and just had to stop by for some chow. Now that’s just plain awesome.

So why they are placing their orders, Im glancing over the menu. I already knew what I wanted, so I didn’t read too much on it. But they do carry the classics- brisket, ribs, sausage, links and chopped beef. Can get individual plates, or 2/3 meat combos, sandwiches and family packs. They have 3 sides- yellow potato salad, beans and chips and then every plate comes with 2 sides and bread.

So its finally my turn to order, I choose the 2 meat combo with brisket and ribs. The guy working the window is real nice and easy going, wouldn’t mind talking to him more next time I go. Get their back story on the BBQ and what not.

So I get my food and head on home. I noticed the meat is just covered in sauce and the YPS looks amazing. The first thing I try is the potato salad, cause it looks really good. And it was, its probably my favorite YPS so far- its creamy with some chucks, sweet, not too much mustard, can taste some may, and they didn’t over do it with the pimentos or onions… as there were almost none. It was really good. Next I tried the brisket.. which isn’t sliced like most places. Its kinds just hacked up and threw in there, like they used to do in the older times. It was juicy and tender, had a very nice subtle flavor…. could tell it was fresh off the pit. The ribs were short pork ribs, I got about 3 of them.. and they were cooked to perfection. The meat just peeled off the bones with extreme ease and had a nice smoky flavor. If they used a rub on either meats, it’s a very subtle one that was easily masked by the sauce. Next time, Ill have to ask for sauce on the side so I can try it dry (and ill update y’all when I do that). The sauce was a vinegar based BBQ sauce, and was very sweet. Im usually not a fan of the vinegar based, but I really enjoyed this one and kept using my bread and brisket to mop it up with The plate also came with beans, but I’m allergic to them and too be honest not a fan of beans in the first place (so even without allergies I would eat them… haha). But I had my dad try them, he said they were decent, and had a bit of a pepper bite to them. He compared them to bushes baked beans with more bite. This entire meal only cost me 8.50, and I didn’t even finish it all… they piled on the meat.

Over all I really enjoyed it and will deff be going back to try more of their meats and for more of their delicious potato salad. So stop on by one day for lunch, they open at 11am and tell’em DavieG sent you by…. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment