Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I DID WHAT?




What Some May Find Unusual


Part 1


So one thing I love to do is try new things. New rub mixtures, marinades, sauces, and such.. and then try them out on family and friends.. to see if they are worth doing again, or if they should be buried for life. Well, actually all my rubs turn out pretty good (those are hard to mess up), but the marinades on the other hand…..ya. ummm. not. so. much.
Here are four of my most memorable experiences: pineapple teriyaki beef jerky, grape stir fried chicken, Original Smirnoff Malt Pork tender loin, Goldschlager and root beer baked chicken. Now… you try to guess which were the hits and which were the misses.

Done guessing?
Here are the answers:

1. Pineapple Teriyaki Beef Jerky: Sounds odd at first, and catches most people off guard. But its been done for centuries in oriental stir fries, so why not jerky? Throw in some crushed pineapple, unsweetened pineapple juice, half a bottle teriyaki sauce and some seasoning, let it sit over night then dehydrate. Sounds simple, smells very odd and tasted great. Just about everyone that tried it loved it, even those who were very weary at first. The only people who didn’t care much for it, were those who don’t like sweet jerky, and this, unlike traditional spicy or peppery jerky was rather sweet. Not only was the flavor nice and subtle, with a little sweetness, the juice helped break down some of the fat in the meat, making it more tender and less chewy so it didn’t kill your jaw like some do. Verdict = Hit

2. Grape kool-aid stir fried chicken: Chicken stir fry = Awesome. Grape Kool-aid = awesome. Chicken stir fry + grape kool aid =? So I was bored one day and in the mood to try something out of the ordinary. I knew I had some raw chicken in the fridge and I wanted to cook it later that night. So I prowl through my fridge and come across some grape kool-aid that I made earlier in the week. Thought to myself, what the hell… WHY NOT? So I throw the chicken in a bag, pour in some aid and add some seasoning, let it sit for a couple hours before I start dinner. So prep time is upon us, I take the chicken out of the bag… its rather bluish now… kinda cool looking. So, now how to cook it? bake it… take too long. Grill it… too cold out side. Stir fry… simple and fast. So I whip up some simple stir fry seasoning and coat the chicken, heat up my wok and toss it in. Then of course gotta add some veggies and a little bit of soy sauce. Smells kinda good, definitely not bad. So the stir is done, the rice is done, and rolls are done. Time to eat. MY mom took a couple bites Yep… we ordered a pizza. It didn’t work.. not at all. Now when I cook, she always asks what Im doing, to make sure I dont try to pull any more"funny stuff" tests on her. Verdict = Miss

3. Original Smirnoff Malt Pork Tender Loin: I like to marinate my loins to add flavor and keep them juicy throughout the cooking. So once again its my day to cook, I got a loin in the fridge and Ive done used several types of beers already in the past… but I have a Malt left over from a party, so what the hell why not give it a try. The original have a sweet, slightly lemony taste to them. IT could work (and the alcohol will help tenderize the meat). So I through the loin, the malt and some garlic and lemon pepper in the bag to marinate for a few hours. Now time to cook it, I could either grill it or roast it. I decide to roast it. So I go over to the fridge to take it out, what was once a pinkish toned slab of meat is now ghostly white. Hmmm, that’s interesting. But theres no turning back now. I throw it in a pan, sprinkle a little more lemon pepper and some paprika on it, then toss it in the oven to cook. Time to eat. The loin, was juicy, flavorful- not to sweet with a nice lemony taste with the kick of pepper. Verdict = Hit


4. Goldschlager and Root Beer Baked Chicken: One of my favorite alcohols to take shots of and smells awesome and Root beer is one of my favorite sodas.. Ive never had them together as a drink, so Im not realy sure where I got the idea to combind the two for a marinade. What I do remember is I had come from a party earlier that week and had less than fourth a bottle of schlager left over and wanted to use it up. But I didn’t want to drink it nor waste it down the sink. So instead I thought, hey use it on some chicken! But I couldn’t use it straight up, its too powerful for that, so I had to dilute it with something… why not a soda. I was out of Dr. Pepper and coke, but had and A&W RB left. So “You’re it”! So I throw it all together with some chicken breasts, let them sit for a couple hours. After words I take some ruffles potato chips, cursh them up and sprinkle some seasonings in, stir it up. I take my chicken, dip them in a egg bath and then coat them with the crunched chips. I place them on a rank and bake up. The chicken comes out nice and juicy, the crust is nice and crunchy with a nice slightly spicy sweet flavor, while the chicken has a distinct cinnamon flavor with a hint of root beer. All combined… verdict = Hit

Part 2 will be coming soon, and Ill throw in some more of my failures next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment