Monday, April 2, 2012

On The Move


The Olive Branch Express

213 Mary Ave
Waco, TX 76701

1 254-754-1555

Mon - Fri:
11:00 am
-
2:00 pm


Every time I at the Olive Branch, I am amply satisfied. Recently they opened up a new joint and after a couple weeks of me being 1) Extremely lazy and 2) Extremely busy, I have finally had the chance to dine at the Olive Branches new joint. The new eatery is the Olive Branch Express and is housed right above them in the back of Spice Village.

            The big difference between the original Olive Branch and the new Olive Branch is pretty much summed up in their name- Express. Instead of waiting for your sandwiches, soups and salads to be made up… the express already has them plated up and ready to go for you to diner in or for take-out. Their daily specials are singular, yet they change every day and will only cost you a few dollars. The lunch special comes with an entrĂ©e, a salad, bread and a dessert. They also have fresh desserts or as they call them “Jar Treats” for just a couple of bucks or you can buy whole frozen casseroles to heat up later that evening for the whole family to enjoy.

            The first time I stopped by, was one of my busy days, so I got my lunch to go. The special for that day was Chicken Spaghetti, house salad, roll and bread pudding. I received an ample serving of the Chicken spaghetti, which was of a creamy cheesy style. There was plenty of flavor to be found in this dish. You get the gooey cheese, you have the home made cream sauce and the even the al-dente noodles, with bits of nicely cooked (not dry) chicken breast. It was very good and hopes they keep serving this one from time to time. The salad was your basic house salad, nicely dressed. The roll was your basic warm house roll. The dessert was equally as good; I am usually not one for desserts; but the bread pudding was mighty tasty and great creamy texture, flavored with cinnamon and topped spiced pear.

            Today I went again, but I had the day off and was going to enjoy my day so I decided to eat it there. So after the gym I got cleaned up and headed over there for a mid-afternoon lunch, before I went to see the movie “Mirror Mirror” (which by the way, was much better than I expected.) Today their lunch special was Spinach Chicken Lasagna, side salad, garlic French roll and a chocolate Easter egg chocolate cookie (try saying that 5 times fast). The lasagna was pretty good; the noodles were nicely cooked, the spinach fresh, cooked well and tender, the cream sauce was delicious, with bits of chicken thrown in that was nice and tender. The salad, was a nicely dressed simple Caesar salad with some homemade croutons. The French roll was pretty tasty with the garlic topping… I love me some garlic. Last but not least, once again, was the dessert. This was a chocolate cookie, with a candy inside, that I couldn’t really figure out. It looked familiar but I wasn’t sure. Come to find out, they had thrown those candy coated chocolate Easter eggs into the batch. These melted more, than your average M&M did, but they still tasted mighty fine and the cookie was nice and chewy. Once again, it was another tasty and filling lunch.

            While eating lunch there this last time I ended up discussing the food served at the Olive Branch Express and other matters with a fellow; who I am guess is the Manager and whose name I have forgotten (I feel like an ass for letting it slip my mind, but I am honestly great with faces and  horrible with names.) He is a great guy and great at his job… we had a pretty good chat. I also got to meet Leah, the Owner… real nice lady. They have really pulled off a great job with the Olive Branch and being able to expand it like this.

            For the price you pay and the great service you get; this is a lunch to not be missed out on. It’s fast, easy, very affordable and usually on the healthier side (well, compared to a Burger). I myself will definitely try to visit them for lunch at least once every other week, based on my work schedule. I believe they have some other ideas and plans in the working for the Express, can’t wait to see what these will be and I can’t wait to see what new lunch specials they come out with.

           Did I mention that both the Olive Branch and the Olive Branch Express have become two of my favorite lunch spots in town; I haven’t been disappointed yet and I don’t think you will be either.  If you've been there already, I hope you keep dining there and enjoying their fresh food. If you haven't gotten around to it yet, please stop by and give them a try-- tell'em DavieG sent ya.


No comments:

Post a Comment