Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cold Food and Warm Beer


CLOSED

Pop-A-Top Cafe
1601 S 29th
Waco, Texas
http://www.myspace.com/popatopcafe


“Cold Food and Warm Beer.” That’s what I first read about them in one of their adds, its naturally caught my attention and had to give them a try.
I have eaten there twice now, both times eating their daily specials. The first time I had their meatloaf with mashed potatoes and french fries. The second time I ordered their beef-tips with white rice and mashed potatoes. My father ordered their Hawaiian chicken.
I am very particular with meatloaf. People tend to add too many or too chunky of vegetables and a lot of places tend to serve dry meatloaf. None of which are desirable in my book~ some like the veggies, not me. Pops was just right on the vegetable count and it was far from dry. I really enjoyed it and will go back to order it again. The mashed potatoes are your run of the mill mashed served with a white gravy but they worked with the meatloaf.
The beef-tips were very good, reminded me of homemade beef tips that my grandma used to make. I really enjoyed them, and on top of that they were very filling. They were flavorful and tender, the rice was properly cooked and the mashed potatoes went perfect with it (though the special originally comes with green beans, I no like green beans).
They have a few other daily specials I really want to try, I just need to find time. They have a BBQ special I really really want to try~ But that’ll have to wait till I can find time.
As I said earlier I went with my dad and he ordered their Hawaiian Chicken with pineapple. I must admit I was rather suspicious of a place like this serving chicken since it can be so hard to cook just right. But it was great, it was sweet and flavor full and cooked just right… wasn’t dry or chewy at all.
The service was just as good as the food. They were fast and polite. Now the crowd is something else, you have everyone coming here. From the construction worker to the high business men… its great. That’s the sign of a great place.


No comments:

Post a Comment